How To Make Salmon with Scotch Bonnet-Herb Sauce Toasts
Sink your teeth into these satisfyingly juicy salmon toasts that are served together with a flavorful bonnet-herb sauce and a buttery onion toast.
- ½cupextra-virgin olive oil,plus an additional 2 tbsp
- 1tbspdijon mustard
- 6salmon fillets,(6 to 7 oz) center cut, with skin
- 3tbspcilantro leaves,chopped
- 1small Scotch bonnet chili
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2tbspbutter,(1 oz) unsalted
- 1large onion
- 12slicessourdough baguette,(¾-inch)
In a large glass baking dish, blend 2 tablespoons of olive oil with mustard.
Add the salmon fillets, turn to coat, and refrigerate.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, boil the Riesling over moderately high heat for about 7 minutes until reduced to ¼ cup.
Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
Whisk in the wine reduction, chives, basil, cilantro, and Scotch bonnet.
Season with salt and pepper.
Melt the butter in a medium skillet.
Add the onion and cook over moderate heat for about 8 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
Place the baguette toasts on a baking sheet and top with the onion.
Bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in each of the 2 medium skillets, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering.
Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add 3 fillets to each skillet, skin side down.
Cook over high heat for about 4 minutes until the skin is browned and crisp.
Turn the fillets and cook over moderately high heat for about 5 minutes until the color is an even pink throughout.
Spoon the chili-herb sauce onto plates.
Top with the salmon fillets and serve with the onion toasts.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: The salmon can be marinated in the refrigerator overnight.
- Wine Recommendation: The elegant fruit in a Riesling can highlight the equally refined hint of fruit in the Scotch bonnet sauce here. But the sauce isn’t just fruity, it’s spicy. A bottling from the Rheingau area of Germany, like the 2003 Schloss Vollrads Kabinett, offers a bit of sweetness to cool the heat.
- Calories: 1161.34kcal
- Fat: 81.21g
- Saturated Fat: 17.97g
- Trans Fat: 0.16g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 30.60g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 20.98g
- Carbohydrates: 15.13g
- Fiber: 1.46g
- Sugar: 2.09g
- Protein: 83.73g
- Cholesterol: 230.79mg
- Sodium: 1183.51mg
- Calcium: 65.98mg
- Potassium: 1536.83mg
- Iron: 2.56mg
- Vitamin A: 41.96µg
- Vitamin C: 19.12mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!