Ravigote has a mixture that is based on a vinaigrette. This is our take on a salad popular in the South, where crab meat is plentiful. This crab meat recipe is rather popular in New Orleans, where Galatorie’s serves their Crab Meat Maison.
How To Make Ravigote of Crab Meat
This refreshing seafood salad uses a delicious dressing combining sherry vinegar and mustard.
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and mustard.
- Whip until well blended.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of the olive oil – whip until an emulsion begins to form.
- Continuing to whisk, slowly add the remainder of the olive until the emulsion is complete. (NOTE: This can also be done in a food processor.
- The key is to add a limited amount of oil while the emulsion sets up and to add the remaining oil very slowly.)
- Whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Reserve 3 tbsp. of the dressing and chill the remainder.
To make the ravigote:
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, reserved dressing, green onions, capers and parsley.
- Stir to incorporate well.
- Gently fold in the lumps of crabmeat until well distributed.
- Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When you begin to chill the ravigote, also plate four salad bowls or plates into the refrigerator.
- See below for serving recommendations.
- Cut the bottom off of the lettuce head and stand it up on the plate or bowl.
- Spread the leaves and create an opening.
Scoop the ravigote into the lettuce head.
- Place four tomato pieces around each lettuce head.
- Dress with additional dressing, if desired.
- Serve immediately. (This dish can be prepared a couple of hours in advance).
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 66mg
- Calories: 522kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Fat: 50g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 415mg
- Protein: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 930mg
- Vitamin A: 3059IU
- Vitamin C: 13mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!