How To Make Volcano Roll Sushi
Revamp your sushi with this volcano roll sushi. Savory shrimp and imitation crab rolls with fresh cucumbers and avocado and drizzled with spicy mayo.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 1 hr 5 mins
- 14 oz kanikama, (imitation crab) 8 oz for crab salad topping + 6 oz for volcano roll sushi
For Sushi Rice:
- 1½ cups short grain sushi rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ tbsp sushi vinegar, (or mix 1 tbsp rice vinegar, ½ tbsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt)
For Crab Salad Topping:
- 6 oz shrimp
- 1 cup spicy mayo, (or mix sriracha sauce with mayo) + more for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
For Volcano Roll Sushi:
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 sheets nori seaweed
- ½ cucumber, cut into ¼-inch strip
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, (optional)
- masago, (optional) or tobiko
- Wash the rice with clean water 4 to 5 times. Transfer the rice to a pot and add water. Boil for 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and cool down for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is warm stir in the vinegar. Set aside.
Crab Salad Topping:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the shrimp and 8 ounces of imitation crab into small chunks. Then transfer them to a baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper, and spicy mayo.
- Place in the oven and let it bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tops turn slightly golden brown. Take out from the oven and set aside.
- Lay out the sushi mat and add a piece of plastic wrap. Then cut the nori sheets in half.
- Place half a sheet of nori and place on top of the mat. Then add ¾ cup of rice. And with wet hands spread the rice evenly on the nori. Sprinkle some sesame seeds if preferred.
- Flip to the other side so the side with rice is facing down. Add the crab sticks, avocado, and cucumber horizontally on the nori sheet.
- Place thumbs underneath the bamboo mat then lift the edge up and over the filling. Roll away while applying some pressure to have a tight cylinder of sushi. Keep rolling until ends meet.
- Transfer sushi to a cutting board and slice into 8 equal-sized pieces. Top with the baked crab salad.
- Next, arrange about 6 to 8 pieces of sushi rolls on a plate then top them with freshly baked crab salad topping.
- Drizzle with more spicy mayo and sprinkle with masago if preferred. Serve.
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 6mg
- Calories: 104kcal
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Fat: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 47mg
- Protein: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 116mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 26IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!