How To Make Boston Roll Sushi
This Boston roll sushi recipe is a sweet, savory, and refreshing delight to have. Sweet shrimp with fresh cucumber and creamy avocado and tasty tobiko all rolled into one tasty sushi.
For Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice, short grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tbsp sushi vinegar, or mix 1 tbsp rice vinegar, ½ tbsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt
For Boston Sushi:
- 6 tbsp tobiko, (flying fish roe)
- 6 oz shrimp
- ½ cucumber, cut into ½-inch strips
- 2 nori seaweed sheets
- 2 avocado, ripe but still firm
- 1 bowl ice bath
- soy sauce
- wasabi paste
- Wash the rice to get rid of excess starch. Add the clean rice to a rice cooker and pour water in. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Transfer to a large bowl and cool down for 10 minutes.
- While rice is still warm to the touch, drizzle in the sushi vinegar or the rice vinegar mixture. Mix well until vinegar is entirely incorporated.
- Boil a pot of water and season with a pinch of salt. Add shrimp and cover the pot. Remove from heat after 3 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimps into an ice bath and let cool for 1 to 2 minutes. Peel and remove the tails of the shrimp.
- Take out a sushi mat and lay it on a flat surface, and put a plastic wrap on top.
- Fold the nori sheets in half and split them using a pair of scissors. Place half a sheet of nori on the sushi mat.
- With wet hands take about ¾ cup of cooked rice and gently spread the rice in a thin even layer over nori. Make sure rice covers every part of nori.
- Flip the sheet and place shrimp, avocado, and cucumber horizontally on top of the nori. Make sure not to add too much filling or it won't seal.
- Using the thumbs, lift the bamboo mat over the filling. Roll the bamboo mat while applying light pressure to tighten the sushi up. Continue rolling until the ends meet.
- Remove the bamboo mat, and sprinkle tobiko on the roll as a topping.
- Transfer the sushi to a cutting board and slice the roll into 8 bite-size pieces. Serve alongside soy sauce and wasabi.
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 45mg
- Calories: 179kcal
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Fat: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 307mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 187mg
- Vitamin A: 228IU
- Vitamin C: 6mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!