How To Make Jalapeño Mac and Cheese
Spice up your usual mac and cheese with our easy recipe made with elbow macaroni mixed in a cheesy creamy jalapeño sauce, topped with a bread crumb topping.
- 12ozelbow macaroni
- ¼cupall-purpose flour
- ½tspgarlic powder
- 3ozcream cheese,cubed
- 1½cupscheddar cheese,sharp shredded, divided
- 2tbspbread crumbs
- 1tbspreal bacon bits
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain well.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add the milk a little bit at a time, whisking after each addition, until smooth. Once all of the milk is whisked in, add cream cheese and garlic powder and whisk until smooth.
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, until thick and bubbly.
Remove from the heat and stir in 1¼ cups of cheese, macaroni, and jalapeños. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
Top with the remaining cheese. Mix the butter and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or just until the crumbs are golden.
- Slowly add the milk, a little at a time. It will seem pasty at first. Add more milk and then whisk. Continue adding the milk and whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Remove the sauce from the heat before adding the cheddar cheese.
- It is preferred to use jarred, canned, or pickled jalapeños in this recipe. If using fresh jalapeños, roast, and seed them first.
- Shred your own cheese for best results. Pre-shredded cheeses have anti-caking agents to keep them from clumping and they don’t always melt smoothly.
- Calories: 567.84kcal
- Fat: 29.86g
- Saturated Fat: 17.09g
- Trans Fat: 0.78g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7.50g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.66g
- Carbohydrates: 54.29g
- Fiber: 2.61g
- Sugar: 7.11g
- Protein: 20.30g
- Cholesterol: 84.07mg
- Sodium: 522.83mg
- Calcium: 350.89mg
- Potassium: 347.59mg
- Iron: 1.30mg
- Vitamin A: 267.30µg
- Vitamin C: 22.42mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!