Neat Sloppy Joes Recipe
No green pepper in this recipe, so it’s a hit with kids. We added this sloppy joes recipe to the menu at a children’s camp, and it has been a favorite for several years. The mixture is thick, so they are ‘neat’ rather than sloppy. This freezes and reheats well.
How To Make Neat Sloppy Joes
It's slopy joe but less messy than what you're expecting.
- Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble (I like to use a potato masher to even out the lumps).
- Add onion and celery, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any grease.
- Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture.
- Season with salt and garlic powder.
- Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
- Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns, which may be toasted first, and serve.
- Calcium: 103mg
- Calories: 342kcal
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 750mg
- Protein: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 670mg
- Sugar: 15g
- Vitamin A: 244IU
- Vitamin C: 7mg