What’s more efficient than just throwing everything together and getting a filling and satisfying dish as a result? Our crockpot cheesy rice casserole is overloaded with cheese and rice plus delightful savory shiitake mushrooms. It’s the perfect cheesy rice recipe for lazy days. It can also be your go-to recipe when you feel sick and need something packed but also tasty. This meal will make you feel better in no time! This homemade cheesy rice uses staple ingredients giving you a no-fuss dish to make any day. While you’re on slow cooking, why not add a savory pulled BBQ chicken to this dish for extra bites and flavor?
Tips for Making Crockpot Cheesy Rice Casserole
Before we reveal how to make cheesy rice with shredded cheese, here are some tips and suggestions to make your rice with mushrooms and cheese yummier:
- Avoid short-grained rice as it will give your cheesy white rice an undesirable super sticky texture. Jasmine rice or brown rice is great to use for wonderful texture, aroma, and right mild flavors. But in this recipe, we used instant rice for more efficient and faster cooking time. It’s also a tasty option when it’s done cooking.
- Sprinkle extra grated cheddar cheese over your cheese rice just before finishing to make it extra cheesy. Cover it and let it melt until you’re done cooking.
- Add colors to your crockpot cheesy rice. Throw in some greens and turn this recipe into a bowl of satisfying cheesy broccoli rice. You can also add in mixed veggies five minutes before you put it off the fire. Add green peas, diced carrots, and diced potatoes for a more flavorful and hearty recipe.
- Chicken bits are a great addition to this crockpot dish as it brings a natural flavor to the entire dish. You can use raw chicken bits and add them so it will slowly cook them along with everything else.
- Go keto! You can substitute rice with healthy, tasty, and easy-to-make cauliflower rice. We can whip this easy rice substitute up in as fast as five minutes.
How To Make Crockpot Cheesy Rice Casserole
Indulge in the savory flavors of cheese and mushrooms with our crockpot cheesy rice recipe. Savor every spoonful with soft savory bites of mushrooms. This homemade cheesy rice casserole is perfect for your no-fuss dinner ideas list!
Put the rice in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Pour the broth on top and season with garlic, salt, and pepper.
Place the mushrooms on top of the rice and mix in half the cheese.
Cover and cook on Low for about 4 hours until the rice is cooked through.
Season with more salt and pepper and stir in the remaining cheese. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Sugar: 2g
- Calcium: 212mg
- Calories: 178kcal
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Fat: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 253mg
- Protein: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 687mg
- Vitamin A: 285IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you cook rice before putting it in the casserole?
No, you don’t. The broth that we will use will be the agent to cook the rice properly. As the entire dish slow cooks inside the crockpot, the rice will also get to cook along. Sit back and relax as you wait for dinner to be ready.
Does cheese go well with rice?
We think that we can all agree that cheese goes with almost anything. The savory creaminess of the cheese and the plain and nice aroma of rice go extremely well with each other. We can have cheese as it is like baked mozzarella sticks, or have it adventurously delicious by pairing it with meat, making rice with cheese, or with vegetables, and even beverages.
ConclusionThe combinations of savory and creaminess from mushrooms and cheese flavors along with the bland sweetness of rice are unrivaled. After trying this out, you might be updating your list of favorite rice recipes. Grab a filling meal by making our easy cheesy rice casserole today!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!