How To Make Scaffata
Spice up Italian nights with this easy Scaffata recipe that tosses tender braised peas, zucchini, and romaine leaves in olive oil for a scrumptious dish.
- 3tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1cupscallions,tender green and white parts
- 2½lbsfresh peas in the pod
- 1¼lbsfresh fava beans in the pod
- ½tsppeperoncino,(crushed red pepper)
- salt,to taste
- 2cupsromaine leaves
- 1tbspfresh mint leaves
In a large, heavy casserole with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and onions and cook for about 4 minutes until wilted.
Add the peas, fava beans, zucchini, and peperoncino. Season lightly with salt. Stir well, reduce the level of heat to low, and cover the casserole tight. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the romaine and mint, cover the casserole, and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender. The vegetables should give off enough moisture during cooking to prevent sticking or burning.
Season to taste with salt and serve hot.
- If you find the vegetables are sticking, you may add a few tablespoons of water.
- Make sure the heat is very low and the pot is tightly covered before continuing to cook the vegetables. It is fine, however, if the vegetables do brown a little.
- Calories: 313.18kcal
- Fat: 8.36g
- Saturated Fat: 1.21g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5.10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.45g
- Carbohydrates: 47.68g
- Fiber: 17.99g
- Sugar: 21.08g
- Protein: 18.65g
- Sodium: 831.43mg
- Calcium: 108.21mg
- Potassium: 937.57mg
- Iron: 4.90mg
- Vitamin A: 168.52µg
- Vitamin C: 87.67mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!