You can call this pie traditional but the flavors are a show stopper when you get a bite out of it. It’s a melt in your mouth experience until all the way.
How To Make Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet potatoes are used for a variety of main course dishes. But this time, we've made it into this delicious mouth-watering pie.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla (or bourbon), salt, and spices.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add the milk and continue to mix.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.
- For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
Beat in the remaining ¼ cup of sugar (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks.
- Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until delicately browned.
- Cool and serve.
- Sugar: 35g
- Calcium: 53mg
- Calories: 250kcal
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 191mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 206mg
- Vitamin A: 5080IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!