This apple pie recipe cooks in a large baking pan for a fresh look, but the same classic taste. Feel free to serve on any day and any occasion or choose to prepare it for the holidays.
How To Make Farm Pan Apple Pie
This farm pan apple pie recipe will feed a crowd. Tender apples baked to perfection in a large baking pan to get more from your dessert.
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt, plus ¼ tsp for filling
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups shortening
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup water
- 5 lb apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2% milk, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. Then add the shortening and mix until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Mix the egg yolks and water. Drizzle over flour mixture and toss with a fork. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time until the mixture can be formed in a ball.
- Cut the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough and fit it in a 15x10x1-inch pan.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over apples. and arrange half of them in the pan. Mix together cinnamon, white sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the apples in the pan.
- Put the remaining apples in the pan and sprinkle again with the sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Roll the remaining dough and fit it over the pan, covering the filling and sealing the edges. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle a little sugar.
- Cut vents in the top crust and place in the oven for 50 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Sugar: 28g
- Calcium: 18mg
- Calories: 435kcal
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 89mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Vitamin A: 148IU
- Vitamin C: 3mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!