This delectable dessert is a copycat of Taco Bell’s caramel apple empanadas. These sweet treats are baked until golden brown and oozing with a rich caramel apple sauce. The crisp apples are reduced down with simple ingredients to create the mouthwatering filling. This dish will leave you wanting more with each indulgent bite.
How To Make Copycat Taco Bell’s Caramel Apple Empanada
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups peeled & sliced Granny Smith and Macintosh apples
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 rolled pie crusts
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix sugar cinnamon and flour together and set aside.
- In a saucepan bring apples and water to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and let cook for 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from heat and fold in sugar flour mixture, caramel topping and butter.
- Stir well until mixed completely.
- Unroll the pie crusts and thin out dough with rolling pin slightly.
- Use a cereal bowl or medium size ring mold to trace and cut out the shape in the dough.
- You should be able to get 2 circles out of each pie crust.
- Spoon 1/4 of the apple compote on each of the circles, leaving about 1/2 inch of the edges uncovered.
- Wet the edges of the pie crusts with a little water, and fold over the circle in half.
- Use a fork to press and seal the edges.
- Brush the egg whites over the top of each hand pie.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and carefully place each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm.