With raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg, this is the perfect apple pie. The raisins add another layer of sweetness and acidity to balance out the sweet apples while complementing the spices nicely too.
How To Make Apple with Raisins Pie
Spice up your apple pies with this apple with raisins pie recipe. Tender apples, with tart raisins baked into an amazing pie brightened up with spices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet that's a minimum of 14 inches.
- Prepare the pastry by sifting the flour and stirring the shortening and butter into it lightly in a large mixing bowl.
- When the mixture is crumbly, mix in small amounts of cold water to make a smooth dough that leaves the bowl clean.
- Give it a light knead and place the pastry in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the apples, cinnamon, raisins, nutmeg, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a rolling pin, spread the pastry out on a floured, flat surface to a circle, about 14 inches in diameter. Give it quarter-turns so that it ends up as round as possible. then transfer it to the center of a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the pastry with egg yolk to prevent it from getting soggy.
- Pile the prepared fruit mixture in the center of the pastry, then carefully turn in the edges of the pastry. If the pastry breaks, patch it back again.
- Brush the pastry surface all around with the egg white, then sprinkle it with the crushed sugar cubes over the pastry.
- Place the pie on the highest rack of the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with crème fraiche or ice cream.
- Sugar: 16g
- Calcium: 31mg
- Calories: 315kcal
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Fat: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 212mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Vitamin A: 252IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!