Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 50 mins
- 1 1⁄8 cup sugar, (225 grams)
- 1 large lemon, peeled with a vegetable peeler, yellow part only
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (225 grams) at room temperature
- 4 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1⁄4 cup self rising flour, (275 grams) See below to make your own self rising flour
For Crunchy Glaze:
- 1 cup granulated sugar, (200 grams)
- lemon juice, from 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350F Grease and flour a standard 9 or 10 cup bundt pan
- First make the lemon sugar: put the sugar and lemon peels in a food processor and process until the zest is completely incorporated in to the sugar. It will be pale yellow, moist, and fragrant. Note: if you don't have a food processor, the finely grate the zest of two lemons and mix into the sugar by hand.
- Put the sugar and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer, or you can mix by hand with electric beaters. Cream them together for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl as necessary. It should be pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Blend in the milk, then the baking powder, and finally fold in the flour. Don't over mix, but make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, or until risen, golden, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter on it. The top should spring back when lightly touched.
- Let the cake cool for 12 minutes, then run a thin offset spreading knife around the edges to gently loosen them. Loosen the cake around the center neck of the pan, soo. Gently flip the cake over onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar with enough lemon juice to make a loose paste, about the consistency of a runny honey. Brush the glaze liberally over the entire surface of the cake (while it is still warm!) going over it more than once if necessary. You'll want a thick even coating. Let the icing dry before slicing.
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!