Chinese Steamed Cake Recipe
This steamed cake literally steams instead of bakes for a light and airy cake that is incredibly simple, yet delicious.
How To Make Chinese Steamed Cake
This no-bake cake only required hot steam for it to cook. You get a light, airy, and flavorful dessert to serve.
- Arrange a large bamboo steamer or a large vegetable steamer over simmering water.
- Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan.
- Line a 9 inch square pan with waxed paper.
- Separate the eggs.
- Place the yolks in a large bowl along with the sugar and water.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture has increased about three times in volume.
- Whisk together the flour and the baking powder; sift this over the egg mixture, and fold in gently.
- Blend in the extract.
- Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff, not dry, peaks.
- Fold into yolk base.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth out to edges.
- Rap the pan on the counter to get rid of large air bubbles.
- Place the pan into the steamer.
- Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel, and place the lid on top; the towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake.
- Steam for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Calcium: 26mg
- Calories: 180kcal
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Fat: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 46mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Sugar: 23g
- Vitamin A: 119IU