Battenberg Cake Recipe
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large baking bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Slowly add the eggs, continuing to beat with the butter and sugar mix; resist the temptation to add the eggs too fast to avoid curdling the cake.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir.
- Sift the flour into the baking bowl, along with the milk, and continue beating until smooth.
- Place half of the mixture in another bowl, add the food coloring a little at a time until you have a color you like. Stir well.
- Grease a 6-inch square cake tin and divide into two by placing a thick layer of aluminum foil down the center. Put the pink mixture on one side and the plain cake on the other.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut each cake to the same size, then cut each cake in half lengthways.
- Take a pink cake and brush one side with the warmed jam. Place a yellow piece next to it, jam side together and push gently together.
- Brush the top surface with jam and place a piece of yellow cake atop a pink piece and vice versa.
- Brush all the outside edges with more jam.
- Brush the rolled marzipan with a little jam and wrap it all around the cake, hiding the seam underneath. Trim away any excess.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Serve and enjoy!
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!