These fried potato pancakes are traditionally served at Hanukkah time with applesauce. Try this version of the compote recipe and taste for yourself.
How To Make Grandma's Potato Latkes with Ginger-Apple Pear Compote
- Baking sheet
- Grating disk
- deep skillet
- Heavy saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Metal bowl
For Potato Latkes:
- 2 1/2 lb baking potatoes peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh chives finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder optional
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
For Gingered Apple-Pear Compote:
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, medium diced
- 2 Bartlett pears peeled, cored, medium diced
- 1 qt water
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp corn syrup optional
- medium seeds of pomegranate
- 2 tbsp candied ginger minced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
For Potato Latkes:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Using the large holes of a box grater or grating disk of a food processor, alternately grate potatoes and onions into a large bowl.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix matzo meal, eggs, chives, onion powder if desired, salt and pepper. Stir into potatoes.
- Add enough oil to a large, deep skillet to come 1/2-inch up the sides. Do not skimp!
- Heat over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches without crowding and using about 1/3 C. of the potato mixture for each pancake, carefully add mixture to the oil, spreading it with a spoon to make 3- to 4-inch pancakes.
- Fry, turning once, until deep golden brown on both sides, about 6 minutes. Use a slotted spatula to transfer to the baking sheet.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in oven while making the remaining pancakes. Drain off any excess liquid that forms in the bowl as you make subsequent batches.
- Serve hot with Gingered Apple-Pear Compote.
For Gingered Apple-Pear Compote.
- Submerge apples and pears in lemon-water to keep them from discoloring. Reserve until needed.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cinnamon stick, honey, water and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat. Without stirring, allow to boil until the mixture turns a golden caramel color.
- Drain liquid from apples and pears; carefully add fruit to caramel liquid.
- Raise heat to high; cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens slightly and fruit is tender.
- During last few minutes of cooking, add pomegranate seeds. Add the candied ginger, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Stir and remove from the heat. Transfer to a glass or metal bowl to cool. Serve chilled or at room temperature as an accompaniment to Potato Latkes.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 193IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2mg