Having seen all the recipes purporting to be ‘Irish Soda Bread’, and then this certain Irish brown soda bread recipe comes along. It doesn’t have currants or carraway seeds and is the simplest recipe ever. It must only be handled lightly, and can never be made in a bread machine.
How To Make Irish Brown Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, white flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt.
- Gently mix in the buttermilk until a soft dough is formed. Knead very lightly.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces; form into rounded flat loaves.
- Mark each loaf with an 'X' and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.
- Sugar: 4g
- Calcium: 111mg
- Calories: 320kcal
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Fat: 4g
- Fiber: 7g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 347mg
- Protein: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 528mg
- Vitamin A: 124IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!