Try this melt-in-your-mouth French toast casserole, loaded with apples.
How To Make Apple Baked French Toast
1 hr 10 mins
- 1 large loaf French or Italian bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tub whipped topping (low sugar if desired)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 8 medium-sized cooking apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- Slice bread into 1-1/2 inch slices.
- Spray 9 x 13-inch glass pan with margarine or cooking spray.
- Place bread in the baking dish with sides touching (snug fit).
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, 1/2 C. sugar, milk, and vanilla with whisk, for about 30 seconds. Pour one half of egg mixture over bread.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover.
- Pour balance of egg mixture evenly over apples. Mix remaining 1/2 C. sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples.
- Dot with butter and whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover dish and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve with warm syrup or powdered sugar.